Tuesday, March 13, 2012

smitten

It's no secret that I'm very fond of Hayes Valley. I've been meaning to check out Smitten Ice Cream for a long time but until last weekend, the right moment had never presented itself. Either I was too full or the weather was too cold or some other such nonsense would get in the way. Anyway, on Saturday, Daniel, our friend Atticus and I took sandwiches and a bottle of prosecco down to Patricia's Green for an impromptu sort of picnic. We watched dogs and small children frolic and then it was time for ice cream.



After some deliberation, I ordered olive oil with lavender shortbread; Daniel and Atticus both had earl grey with milk chocolate chunks. 

{earl grey ice cream}

Smitten makes their ice cream using liquid nitrogen to chill it, which apparently keeps the ice crystals really small, resulting in creamy ice cream.

And it is extremely creamy. Extremely. Almost to the point that it felt like too much. I ordered the smallest possible size and still couldn't finish even half of it. 


Fortunately, Ritual Coffee is right next door. I shook myself from an impending sugar coma with a macchiato. 

{macchiato}


And then we stopped to listen to a string group performing in the park. They played Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody and Daniel gave them $5- they were really good. 


So, the verdict? Good ice cream, but a little too heavy for my taste. I'll be sticking to the homemade stuff for the time being. Still, an excellent Saturday afternoon. Hayes Valley does not disappoint. 


Smitten Ice Cream
432 Octavia
SF 94102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...