Tuesday, February 22, 2011

pulp fashion

On Saturday, I went to see the Pulp Fashion exhibit at the Legion of Honor with Daniel's mother, Cathy. Since the day was completely wet and soggy, it was pretty much the perfect time to visit a museum. Pulp Fashion is an exhibition of the work of Isabelle de Borchegrave, a Belgian artist who works in paper. Meaning, she fashions period costumes (dresses, shoes, jewelry, etc.) entirely out of paper.






It really was quite amazing- the attention to detail, the craftsmanship. Everything looked so gorgeous. It made me wish it was still appropriate to wear panniers and lace ruffs. Le sigh.

Most of the people in the exhibit were, unsurprisingly, women, and I kept hearing people say "which dress would you choose if you got to pick one?" I also overheard one little girl turn and ask her mother if everyone wore clothes made out of paper back then. 
 
I'm hoping I can get my mother to come see this the next time she's in town- really a great exhibit. 

*Photography was verboten in the museum so I had to content myself with poaching these photos from the museum website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...