Thursday, February 10, 2011

a few days in cairo

One year ago today, I was in Cairo. 


Given everything that's going on in Egypt today, it's hard for me to fathom how that was possible. 

I never talked about my trip to Egypt here or shared any of my photos because the blog wasn't really up and  running at that point. But I've been thinking a lot about my short visit there recently. My trip to Egypt was a Christmas gift from my parents. It was a place I'd always wanted to go, and from Paris it was a relatively short flight. In addition, my aunt and cousin were spending the year living in Cairo, so I'd be able to stay with them.























{shoe coverings at Ibn Tulun Mosque}



 {Khan el-Khalili}

 {feteer dough}






Cairo is an amazing place. It's always a bit discomfiting to see things you've heard about all your life face to face- the pyramids, the sphinx, Tutankhamun's funeral mask- and to match your expectations against the reality. I had an wonderful guide named Wael who showed me the city- I can't imagine how I would have survived without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...