Wednesday, October 20, 2010

les greves

For all of the things I love about living in Paris, from time to time there are certain... challenges. Most of these things are small and I've learned to deal with them. The systematic undercooking of scrambled eggs, the closure of stores on Sundays, the omnipresence of dog poo on city sidewalks, the way shops never seem to have change for anything over a 10 Euro bill, etc.

Anyway, suffice it to say there are always a few adjustments to make when you live in a country other than the one you were raised in.

The one thing that really bothers me is the striking.

Obviously, strikes are not confined to France, but the French seem to launch into them with particular gusto. As for the strikes that are going on right now over proposed changes to the retirement age, I'm not here to pontificate on and on about why the reforms are necessary (they are, and if you're interested, this article provides a succinct explanation as to why).
Rather, I speak from a purely selfish place in saying that I am supremely vexed by the striking due to its potential to affect Daniel's travel/our upcoming vacation.

Which is Not Okay.

On an non-political (but related-ish note), this is Bernard Thibault, the leader of the Confederation Generale du Travail (CGT), France's largest union.

Bernard Thibault - Le Figaro
I may have done a double take when I saw how he was coiffed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...