Friday, January 21, 2011

new hood

It feels like a long while since I've been here, but really it seems it's been scarcely more than a week.  Huh. How is that possible? We didn't have internet at the apartment until yesterday, so that is the simple reason for my absence. But now it is up and running thank heavens and I can get back to my photo posting and general blathering. 

Speaking of the internet, one of my favorite things when connecting to wireless internet in a new place is to check out the names that people have given their personal internet connections. Some of my favorites from our new spot are as follows, in no particular order: 
  • Flash Gordon 2
  • Boba Fett
  • PeoriaRocks
  • TroutfarmNorth
  • there's rumors on the internets 
I wonder what these names say about our new neighbors?

Anyway, I have to say right away that I love our new neighborhood. I adore it. I am besotted. 


First of all, there is seemingly endless variety- from street to street, the personality of the neighborhood shifts. There's everything from elegant, old San Francisco charm to housing projects, all within a few blocks of one another. I think it's just marvelous.

And the food. There is so much good food around here it's positively sickening. I just tried Little Star Pizza for the first time. I am so happy we are neighbors. 


When I lived in San Francisco a few years ago, fresh out of college, I moved into the Russian Hill neighborhood. My apartment was right at the base of the twisty part of Lombard Street, which was both charming and irritating, depending on the number of tourists camped out taking photographs. It was a lovely place to live, but when I found myself contemplating a move back to San Francisco after my stay in Paris, I thought perhaps I should try a new area. And I'm so glad I did.


Where I live now is perhaps not quite so as refined as Russian Hill;  it's a little dirty under the fingernails in places- and yet that's part of it's charm. I love the color and the movement, the hint of the unfamiliar. 

I think I'm going to be very happy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...