Thursday, July 26, 2012

what's for dinner


Yesterday, as I was drinking my morning cup of coffee and preparing for my day at work I read this and thought it was so spot on that I wanted to re-post it here. It's something I think about a lot- the choices we make as we try to find a balance between work and our personal lives and where cooking falls into that mix.

I came home after work feeling tired and not in the mood to do much of anything. Daniel was going to be working late and all I wanted to do was curl up on the couch and read a book.

But first I made dinner. Because even when I'm tired and sort of grumpy and have only myself to feed, making dinner makes me feel better. I poked around in the refrigerator and emerged with a head of romanesco, some arugula, and a small lump of feta. I roasted the romanesco, boiled some water for Israeli couscous, and whisked together a basic dressing of vinegar, olive oil and salt. When the romanesco and couscous were done, I tossed them together, added the arugula and dressing, and sprinkled some crumbled feta on top.

And that was dinner. Slowing down, even for a few minutes, to put it together helped me relax after a long day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...