Sunday, July 29, 2012

the minimalist baker's oatmeal chocolate chip pancakes


On Friday, I came across the site Minimalist Baker for the first time. I stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of Dana's chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes. To channel Liz Lemon, my first thought was I want to go to there

Then I looked a bit closer and saw that they were vegan chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes. Oh.

It's not that I have a problem with vegan pancakes, per say. But in my experience, vegan baked goods are tricky. I guess I've never understood why you would want to use a flax egg instead of an actual egg, given the choice. Regardless, I couldn't get these pancakes out of my head. And so come Saturday morning I decided to make my own version.


This version involved a number of substitutions. Instead of almond milk, I used lowfat cow's milk. Instead of almond butter, I used an extra tbsp of canola oil. Instead of a flax egg, I used a regular egg. 

The pancakes were flavored with banana and chocolate and the rolled oats added a pleasing texture and weight to the cakes. The maple syrup didn't hurt either.


They weren't vegan but they were delicious.

Adapted from The Minimalist Baker's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes

1 very ripe banana
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
pinch salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips

Mash banana together with baking powder then add egg, oil, salt, vanilla, and milk, stirring to incorporate. Stir in oats and flour until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Preheat lightly greased skillet over medium heat. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. 

Sprinkle on a few extra chocolate chips and drizzle with maple syrup. Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...