Every so often, Matching Half- a small cafe near our apartment- has a pub quiz night. I didn't know this until last week, when Daniel and I were out for a walk after dinner and we saw a flyer for it posted in the window. We decided we should check it out and enlisted our friends Morgan and Joanna to accompany us.
We showed up around 6:45, just in time to grab a table and order a round of beers. The game started. Here are some sample questions from the first few rounds:
- What is the name for the colored lights you see when you press down on your eyes?
- Who played Superman 2?
- What does a spermologist study?
- Who lives at 221B Baker Street?
- What is the name for the semi-structural details on the ends of some of the strokes that make up letters and symbols?
- Who discovered penicillin?
There was also a music round where a somewhat pretentious
The last round was all about being able to identify sitcom pets by name- so for example, the quiz master would say "Comet" and we were all supposed to know that Comet was the dog on Full House.
I did not do very well at that round.
In the end, we came in second- the winners each received a half pound of coffee (Matching Half is, after all, a cafe). But I was pleased with our beer winnings and motivated to beef up on my random trivia. Next time, it'll be us going home with a half-pound of Sightglass coffee from Rwanda!
1799 McAllister St.