Wednesday, December 31, 2014

chocolate dulce de leche tart



As previously mentioned, we're heading to San Juan Bautista for New Year's Eve this year. Our friends Jared and Amy graciously offered to host a few of us at their home for a relaxed celebration. I volunteered to bring dessert and set out to find something suitable for the occasion

One of my favorite cookbooks from this past year was David Lebovitz's My Paris Kitchen. I decided to make his chocolate dulce de leche tart.

The crust was a disaster challenging. After creaming the butter and sugar together and adding the requisite egg yolk, I stirred in the cocoa-flour mixture and was rewarded with a bowl full of what looked like dark sand. There was no chance that this would come together as any sort of crust. So I used a recipe from Saveur, creamed a bit more butter, added a touch more flour and another egg yolk and turned it into a different recipe for a chocolate pie crust, and voila - dough fit to be pressed into a tart pan.

The rest of the recipe came together easily enough - the dulce de leche, the chocolate custard, the sprinkling of sea salt on the top - and baked into something we'll be eating after dinner tonight with a dollop of whipped cream. I'll check in to let you know whether it's a keeper or not. In the meanwhile, happy New Year's Eve - I hope everyone has something planned for this evening that he/she is looking forward to. See you in the new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...