Saturday, July 5, 2014

happy fourth of july


Happy Fourth of July weekend, folks. Things are pretty quiet over here - Daniel is finishing his thesis (due in two days) so we ended up staying in town and made very last minute plans to have a quiet dinner with friends. I made an American flag cake because...well, why not?


I admit, it was borderline disgusting stirring all of that food coloring into the cake batter and I did end up spending the better part of my afternoon baking the six cakes needed to put the dessert together. But I've always kind of wanted to see if I could pull one of these surprise cakes off and it was fun to cut into after dinner, so I'd say it was worth it. 


If I were to do this over again, I'd be sure to freeze all the cakes ahead of time to make leveling and splitting them easier. The cake was very soft, which make the cutting and frosting somewhat of a challenge. I also don't own an offset spatula, so I wasn't able to do anything elaborate with the frosting. But it still turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself. Oh, and in case you're curious, I used this recipe from Food52. 


Hope everyone had a lovely Fourth of July and was able to enjoy some good food and fireworks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...