Sunday, June 22, 2014

david lebovitz's poulet a la moutarde


A few months back, I went on a cookbook shopping spree. It was a limited spree - four new books I had had on my list for quite some time - but still. I bought these books, leafed through them, then put them on the bookshelf until this weekend.

I took finals at the start of June and then immediately started my summer job, which involves a bit of travel and a lot of social events in the evenings (poor me!), so I've been adjusting to a new routine. This weekend - my first at home since I started work - was lovely and just what I needed. I cleaned the apartment, started a new book, went grocery shopping for the first time in ages, watched the America-Portugal World Cup game, went running, ran a bunch of tedious errands, and, finally, cooked from David Lebovitz's lovely new cookbook, My Paris Kitchen.

Apparently I am in the habit of going straight for the recipe featured on the cover of the cookbook - in this case, poulet a la moutarde. I wanted something that would taste sumptuous without involving excessive effort (I've been very lazy in the kitchen lately) and this fit the bill perfectly. I ended up substituting bone-in chicken breasts for the thighs and legs called for in the recipe just because I felt like it and it turned out splendidly.* We ate it with an arugula salad and bread and I was very pleased. As we speak, I'm boiling a pot of water for hardboiled eggs and another for fingerling potatoes so I can make Monsieur Lebovitz's salade lyonnaise for dinner tomorrow night when I get home from work. This man really knows what he's doing. I can't wait to move on to the dessert section.

It feels really nice to be finding my way in a new routine and getting back in the kitchen. I'll try to stop by here again soon.




*I reduced the cooking time by about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...