Monday, December 2, 2013

cook's illustrated's boston cream pie


On the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving, my uncle made dinner for the whole family. A homemade seafood sausage with a touch of beurre blanc followed by duck breast with a mushroom ragout. My aunt made a Boston Cream Pie for dessert. As you can see, our family is not one to stint on meals prior to Thanksgiving.

I am the sort of person who will choose pie over cake any day of the week but this cake.... THIS CAKE is something else. The cake itself is tender, the custard rich and dense, the chocolate ganache a perfect bittersweet foil to the layers beneath. It was the best cake I've had in ages, and though I hate to admit it, even better (or perhaps just more novel) than the excellent pies that followed on Thanksgiving. Our eight-year-old twin neighbors who joined us for dinner agreed, eschewing pie for staggeringly large slices of cake piled high with whipped cream.

My aunt was kind enough to give the cookbook the recipe comes from to my mother as a gift, and if you should be interested, the recipe can be found here. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...