Thursday, March 10, 2011

a machine named vince

For Christmas, my mother gave me the gift of a sewing machine. A wonderful gift, except I don't know how to sew. My grandmother taught me a bit about sewing when I was little, but the last time I was around a machine was probably ten years ago and I'd forgotten most everything. So far, the only use I've gotten out of my new machine is using the box as a table in the living room before we bought a coffee table. 

Not the most productive use of a sewing machine.

Anyway, I decided to do something about it and signed up for a sewing class at WorkshopSF. It's a sort of studio that offers a variety of classes, from how to brew ginger beer to how to make a glass terrarium. And they offer basic sewing.

So after work on Wednesday, I strolled over to the workshop. There were only three of us students and the teacher walked us through the basics of using a sewing machine.


My machine's name was Vince. 


It was exciting to be learning something new and tangible. We made beer cozies and little sock monsters- nothing terribly skill-intensive, but I'm going to actually unpack my sewing machine from the box and start trying to figure this thing out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...