Saturday, September 25, 2010

giverny

First, I have to point out that these pictures are from May, when I took a day trip out to Giverny. I wasn't posting on the blog then, so I never did much with these pictures. But the trip was lovely and worth remarking upon here, besides which, I like the idea of using this space as sort of a photo album. 

So. Giverny.


Giverny is famous for being home to Claude Monet for many years. He lived and painted and gardened extensively and his home is now a tourist magnet. It's a quick train ride from Paris, so on one sunny Saturday, I bought a ticket and headed off.


The train doesn't take you right to Monet's gardens and house, so you have the option of taking a bus, walking, or renting a bicycle. I had planned to walk, but upon disembarking from the train, I fell into conversation with a group of American girls who were studying abroad in Paris for the summer and ended up joining their party for the afternoon. We all rented bicycles and pedaled our way towards the house and gardens.



Being May, the place was packed; we didn't even attempt to go into the house. But the gardens were stunning.






Beyond the gardens, there were fields of poppies all around. The poppies themselves were like none I've ever seen- such a particular shade of red.





I have to say, renting a bicycle was the way to go. I don't think I'd ridden one in years but it was fun, speeding around the paths, seeing the cows out in the fields and reveling in the fresh air and sunshine. It was exhilarating- a truly joyful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...