Tuesday, August 19, 2014

b. patisserie


There are many things I miss from my brief time living in Paris - the bridges over the Seine, the museums and pristinely manicured parks, the Velib, the curio shops and wonderful boutiques, the outdoor markets, the bistros and cafes, the inexpensive table wine...I could go on and on, but I'll stop myself before I succumb totally to nostalgia. To sum it up, Paris is a fabulous city to live in and there's a lot to miss.

Fortunately, I live in another great city where, on occasion, I find little things that bring Paris to me.


I've been curious to try b. patisserie for some time - it's one of those places that catches your eye as you drive by, especially in the evening when it's closed but the bakers are still inside prepping dough, visible through the big street-facing windows. When Daniel and I had to run a last minute errand in the neighborhood over the weekend, I knew exactly where I wanted to stop in for a quick bite.
 
We ended up with two tartines - one with mushrooms, leeks and goat cheese and one with black forest ham and gruyere - and two desserts - a plum almond financier and a chocolate coffee toffee verrine. Everything was just lovely, and though I wanted to sample every pastry on offer, I restrained myself - unlike Paris, this is just around the corner - I could go back any time I wanted.

So for the times I miss having a buttery kougin amann in the morning, a light tartine and a salad for lunch, or an afternoon sweet and a coffee, b. patisserie is my new spot of choice. It's a charming little place that knows how to do these things just so. It's nice to know that I can still have a little taste of Paris here in San Francisco.


b. patisserie
2821 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94115

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...