Saturday, March 15, 2014

a place that felt right


I was going through old photos on my computer the other day, trying to delete some to clear up space on my hard drive. When I came across this one, I had no memory whatsoever of taking it and it didn't really seem to fit in with the photos around it, which were of pumpkin waffles. It clearly was taken at our old apartment in San Francisco, but that's where my knowledge ends. So I can't remember the context or why I decided to snap the photo, but here it is. This sort of thing has been happening to me not irregularly since I'm moving and therefore going through lots of drawers, unearthing things.

Moving is always hard and this has been no exception. Everywhere you go you hear stories about how atrocious the San Francisco rental market is, so I was really dreading the process. We had a lot of things we needed in an apartment (place to park two cars, lots of storage, central enough for both Daniel to get to work in Marin and me to get to school in Palo Alto, large enough for two people to live in without murdering each other) and then several things we wanted (hardwood floors, good light, nice kitchen, pet friendly) and, of course, limits on how much we could spend. I spent the past few weeks combing Craigslist, driving up to see places that were, for the most part, wholly unsuitable, and then crying on the phone to my mother.

But.

Last weekend, I finally found a place that felt right and after several days of scrambling, we signed the lease and put down a deposit. We're moving April first, and I can't wait.

In the meanwhile, have a gap in between where my lease ends at my current place and where the lease starts on our new place. So I'm busily packing and doing things like cleaning my refrigerator and scrubbing my bathtub. I'll be squatting with my parents for a while, filling their pristine new apartment with boxes. But I couldn't be more excited.

Have a lovely weekend, everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...