Saturday, August 11, 2012

marian burros plum torte


Just checking in here quickly. Things have been sort of bonkers around here. Not that I'm so busy-  I'm staring down a few weeks of vacation coming up (hooray!) but I've been gearing up for a lot of big changes. I'll likely be out of commission for a bit here but I wanted to leave you with a recipe for one of my very favorite desserts. I first read about Marian Burros' plum torte four years ago, right when I was starting to get interested in cooking. I've made it a handful of times and I love it more with every passing year. This time I served it with cinnamon ice cream, a pairing I would highly recommend.


Marian Burros Original Plum Torte from the NYTimes

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup unbleached flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
24 halves pitted purple plums
Sugar and cinnamon for topping.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream sugar and butter in a bowl. Add flour, baking powder, salt and eggs, and beat well.


Spoon the batter into a spring form of 8, 9 or 10 inches. Place the plum halves skin side up on top of the batter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, depending on the sweetness of the fruit. Sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, or to taste.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove and cool; refrigerate or freeze if desired (but first, double-wrap the tortes in foil, place in a plastic bag, and seal). Or cool to lukewarm, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...