Saturday, April 5, 2014

the most thoughtful of gifts


I took this picture a few weeks ago when I was staying with my parents before moving in to my new apartment. My parents' place is a furnished apartment - a sort of pied a terre while they find their footing in the city. The place is very nicely appointed, but when I saw it for the first time, I snickered at the Nespresso machine. A Nespresso machine? Really? How frivolous and unnecessary!

Except I was completely wrong because Nespresso machines are the most amazing things ever. I quickly fell into the habit of having one every day after lunch while I stayed with my parents, often with one of the crisp little chocolate walnut cookies they sell at Tartine. Heavenly.

Anyway, my parents - sensing my attachment to the device - got me one of my very own as a housewarming gift and I know rank my Nespresso Pixie as one of my most prized toys. It may be frivolous but it's absolutely necessary. There are some indulgences - like a cookie from Tartine, or fresh flowers, or the latest Vogue - that just can't fail to lift one's spirits. A tremendous thank you to my parents for the most thoughtful of housewarming gifts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...