Tuesday, April 10, 2012

christina tosi's crack pie


This Easter, I was charged with making a dessert. After pondering a number of options (strawberry tart? chocolate bundt cake?) I remembered Crack Pie.

I have never been to Momofuku Milk Bar but I read about Crack Pie some months ago in Bon Appetit. Based on the name alone, I knew I wanted to make it. Still, I had to wait for the right moment- a dessert this rich is better made for a crowd. 

I made Crack Pie over three days. On Friday evening, I made the oatmeal cookie that is crumbled up to make the crust. On Saturday morning, I assembled the crust and filling and baked the pie. I chilled the pie overnight and then on Sunday dusted it with powdered sugar and served it up with some bourbon-spiked whipped cream.

It was good. I couldn't eat more than a few mouthfuls- this stuff is rich- but everyone else scraped their plates (a friend even polished off my half-eaten piece). But while I'm glad I tried it, I'm not sure I'll make it again. I found the sweetness  a little cloying and think I would have found a bowl of good  vanilla ice cream far more addictive. To each her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...